BubblePopProductions

My photo
Leeds
I am currently in my final year of foundation Degree Digital Media at Leeds college of art, and I specialize in story-telling using a range of mediums including interactive based content. I would say I am inspired by cartoons and comics, but also the little things that most people don't notice or maybe are not bothered about, like this strange women on the train the other day, I imagined her whole life in 2 minutes! or the way a silverfish freezes up when it feels vibrations in the hope it won't be noticed! OK so I admit I have an overactive imagination, always have, but that is what I like about me and I feel this only helps me in my line of work. My strength as a digital designer definitely lies in my passion for creating a narrative and a mood, I am interested in the visual construction between image and sound and I like to animate using 2D software and my own hand drawings. I want to bring "my world" to life using digital media.....

Thursday 6 May 2010

Letter to a freelance writer

Hi there Ian, my name is Kelly Cantrell, and I am studying Digital media at Leeds college of art and design. Your probably wondering why I am contacting you then? well as part of my final year work I have to present a business plan on how I would get myself started as a freelance artist, where I would get funding from and who my market is and all that sort of stuff. My strength throughout all of my projects has been my ability to write a narrative or come up with plenty of ideas, and my tutors have always told me that "I am a writer", in fact I have known this all my life, even as a child I would write short stories and poems, and I would always go WAY over the specified amount of words! because I just love to write! I blog, write film reviews and short stories- in fact if I didn't write I think I would go insane! I can't imagine living a life in which I did not write! Anyway sorry to waffle on there, I am actually writing you to see if you have any advice you could give me on starting out in the industry? I want to write narratives for gaming, film, TV & Radio, childrens books, interactive content, reviews, magazine articles, in fact any thing that needs writing I want to do it! I got a distinction in creative writing last year and that was kind of my turning point, I am still interested in digital media and animation but I feel my core skill is the writing element involved so want to pursue this are although I do not have a writing degree or any english based qualifications- would this hinder me? and can you set up as a freelance writer if you are in debt? I mean who would give me a business loan or funding? do you still need a regular job alongside your writing career, or can you earn enough to live on just from writing? Any advice, tips and guidance you can give me would be very much appreciated when you have the time. Thanks very much for taking the time to read this and I hope to hear from you soon, Yours Kindly, Kelly Cantrell. http://kellybruce.blogspot.com/

No comments: